I've often been told that Dave and I impress people with our, I'll call it moxie. In fact the other day, a good friend told me, "When the Coopers think it, they do it." I think people tell me this as a compliment—which is totally very sweet. And I do have to admit that this motto has created some rather fun opportunities. However...
There is a painful downside to always being ready to jump. A good percentage of the time you're going to get hurt. Really hurt. Bad.
I, dear friends, have officially been hurt.
Gather round children and let me weave you a tale of what happens when you leap before you look.
Several weeks ago, Dave approached me with the idea of living a more car-free life. Naturally, I initially jumped at the idea. After all, gas prices soared and I realized I could use a little more activity in my life. I mean playing Thomas and cutting out paper dolls is fun, but it doesn't firm up anything. So he did a little research and found these amazing bikes. He forwarded me sites like that one and this one that illustrated just how cool commuter biking could be. I of course, envisioned myself as one of those chicly dressed dutch women cycling around picturesque European towns. I was all over it.
So on Mother's Day, we picked up our Xtracycles. I was convinced by someone who shall remain nameless (hint: name begins with D and ends with ave) that I would be able to make a trip home from the bike shop via bike (about 7 miles away). Oh we'll make lots of stops. We'll have a picnic and it will be great.
And seven miles via bike doesn't sound that bad. I mean I haven't ridden a bike in, oh 8 years or so and yet, I remember it fondly. Unfortunately though for me, the ride home is completely uphill the entire way. And these are large hills. Hills that some of the regional bike teams train on. But lured with promises of chocolate brownies and a cute little picnic scene I figured, hey I can do it. Right?
No. I'm going to keep it short here because I don't want to scare you too much. Some of you may have stomachs too sensitive for this type of torturous tale. I mean I wouldn't want to tell you how I cursed certain people. How I felt the urge to vomit about 3 times on the journey home. How I would have cried but was unable to make tears because everything in my body went into producing sweat. Or how the expletives I let fly directed at everyone and everything were mere whispers. Sometimes, just thoughts. I would have screamed them to anyone within earshot, but again though, wasn't able to as every muscle in my body was focused on just getting home. I had flashbacks of labor. Yes, it was that bad.
And yet, there were highlights. Like when Ellie rubbed my back and told me, "Don't give up mommy. Keep going, you can do it." Or when we pulled along side Dave and Jonah where Jonah sitting all relaxed on the back of the bike looked at me and said, "Mommy, maybe you just need some water." Actually, wait. That just pissed me off. But I did enjoy the way Ellie giggled all the way down the one descent we got to do.
Now I did end up having to apologize to Ellie for snapping at her when she said, "But Mommy, this is good exercise." At which point I turned around and flicked her right on the nose. Actually I didn't. I couldn't have mustered the energy even if I wanted to. I simply whimpered out between huffs, "be"...."quiet"...."NOW."
And that my friends is how I spent my mother's day. Next year, if my gift consists of anything other than a relaxing trip to the spa, I think there will be consequences. Serious consequences.
Cherry Tomato Tart with Burnt Scallion Ricotta
2 weeks ago
8 comments:
Jen - you are hilarious! I'm of the "don't talk about it, do it" variety as well and have gotten myself into some sticky situations but none quite as heroic as yours.
Here's to miles of enjoyment on the Xtracycles (although maybe not all at once & much more downhill :-))
you seriously crack me up!!!!
Aw, seven miles, how cute! ;)
The flick-the-nose impulse r-e-a-l-l-y made me laugh.
Love this! But what I really want to know is whether you were actually dressed all chic and dutch while cursing and sweating? And were you wearing your lip plumping gloss?
HA!!! I think I was cute. I've repressed certain memories though.
I think the gloss wore off after the first serious incline. Which at that point I could have applied more but a cop pulled over to ask if I was okay. Seriously. She pulled over to check on me. How pathetic am I? Anyway, I must have been too distracted by her kindness (that or the way it felt like some voodoo guy was ripping my heart directly out of my chest) and forgot to reapply the gloss.
Serves you right! You guys getting up on your high horses...or bikes, making the rest of us, or just me, look bad!
But seriously, keep being the model for everyone, even if it hurts! - Heather
haha! Poor thing! I remember when Cole and I were dating and used to ride bikes to school during college (maybe I did it once or twice), I would get off the bike and push it up hill.
Post a Comment