Monday, January 05, 2009

Welcoming 2009

Well today the winter break ended. No more sleeping in. No more lazy mornings. No more thought given to that question, "hmmm, what should we do today?"

But it's okay. And do you know why? Because of a couple things I am grateful for this post-holiday season (even if that means I must again start setting my alarm clock to get the kids ready for school):

1. Clementines - The Cooper family has consumed three boxes of them in the past two weeks. Dave alone can pack away up to like 10 a day. TEN a day. I think someone's angling for a ribbon.

2. My pasta machine - I used the Christmas present Dave's mom gave me (a Williams Sonoma gift card) to purchase just the most beautiful device ever (well, next to the Microplane Zester—thanks Kirsten for the find!). I mean look at that thing. It's downright sexy! OOOooh fresh pasta....purrrr!

3. Post holiday sales - Oh man, I love the post holiday sales. I'm not ready to go out and actually buy anything, but I do love the altered reality that is created. The altered reality that coaxes me into believing I can indeed afford the items I really love.

So see, I consider it a trade off. And it's the idea of these things gained which helps me drag my tired behind out of bed in the morning so I can: rouse sleepy-headed ones, hover over children while constantly reminding them to make sure they brush the teeth in the back (not just the front), cook breakfast, tell the kids where the socks are for the third time in 10 minutes, pack lunches, and finally hurry them out the door. Well that and the three cups of coffee.

No comments: