Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quality TV

Oh the debate: Can tv be of any quality? When I flashback to some of my fondest childhood memories, tv comes up in more than a few of them. My favorite one is getting up early on Saturday morning, fixing myself a yummy bowl of Waffle-O's (a mixture of cardboard, sugar and enough imitation maple flavoring to cover up the fact we were eating recycled tree pulp), turning on the old picture box and settling in for a morning of mind numbingly good entertainment.



Of course as a parent, I am deeply concerned about what my kids watch. More importantly how much of it. But a little secret between you and me? I don't think tv is really all that bad. Well, mostly not all that bad. Well, okay mostly all bad but with some nuggets of good here and there.

Listen, I deeply believe that imaginative play, without the use of electronics, is a corner stone for a child's success in life. But frankly, I also see that tv can sometimes, (I should shout the phrase in moderation here for idiots who will take this and use it to rationalize why their kid should be allowed to watch 5 hours of crap tv a day) enhance a child's ability to be creative.

I know, I know. Poppycock you say.

But I'm not ready to go whole hog down the anti-tv route. True, I'm incredibly selective about what my kids can watch. So no HSM movies, no Hannah Montanna, no Zac and Cody yet. They're still too young and impressionable. Shows glamorizing high school, adults as pals rather than mentors, and featuring really dreadfully unimaginative scripts aren't appropriate for my 3 and 6 year old. Not appropriate even if the powers that be, do everything they can to market to my preschooler and kindergartner. Don't think I haven't noticed you trying.

Luckily, right now, Dave and I are content with their favorite shows. Ones that we can watch with them.

When Ellie gets off the bus we have started a new tradition. A tradition of peppermint tea and a 30 minute cartoon episode of the Pink Panther. Frankly, the music alone is fantastic. But it's mildly harmless, silly and I like the fact that there's so much pantomime involved. It gives the kids a chance to read a character's body language and predict what will happen next.

The other show that Ellie has gone ga-ga over is Rocky and Bullwinkle. So naturally when I spied a copy of R&B season 3 on DVD in a Record and Tape traders I pounced on it. Last night we broke open the box and the kids got to watch an episode while I made dinner. When I peeked out of the kitchen to see how everyone was doing I was greeted by the sight of Jonah, Ellie and Dave all cuddled under a blanket giggling together.



Now I'll admit, the Pink Panther and Rocky and Bullwinkle don't teach kids reading, writing or arithmetic. But I do think the story telling in the shows is imaginative, the art creative and the stories, well...silly. And isn't silliness something that we can all do a little more with in our lives?

5 comments:

Dave Cooper said...

I couldn't agree more. We seem to have a lot in common. Perhaps we should wed?

Anyway, the music AND the awesome artwork of these shows is reason enough to make The Pink Panther and Rocky and Bullwinkle REQUIRED WATCHING for all children. :)

Swirvin said...

I loved both the Pink Panther and Rocky/Bullwinkle when I was growing up. Which sets do you have? I was checking out Amazon and there seem to be quite a few to choose from (though most of the Rocky/Bullwinkle ones seem to be discontinued).

I hear you on HSM and Hannah Montana. We have managed to avoid Hannah Montana but Helena saw HSM at a friend's house and she is hooked. Luckily she is more interested in the soundtracks than the movies.

Since I read your post I can't get the PP music out of my head ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am an unabashed product of LOTS of TV growing up as a kid. I turned out alright, didn't I? Didn't I? Okay, perhaps I'm a little in need of affirmation, but other than that? Anyway, where does the Cooper household stand on the Roadrunner and Coyote?

Jen C said...

John you turned out beautifully. ;)
I'm all for cartoon violence. As long as it's completely unrealistic (as in a character running off of a cliff and defying gravity until he looks down and realizes he's running on air) OR uses explosives (that are apparently all smoke and no real boom) from the infamous ACME corporation.

Dave Cooper said...

LOL, John! Well you have been posting lots of nice confirmations that your Opera Company is friggin' sweet.