Thursday, February 21, 2008

Big Mom-Mom

We lost my Grandmother this past Sunday. It came as a real surprise. She was 80 years old.

The kids called her Big Mom-Mom. Sort of a cute variation on the classic "Great-Grandmom." My brother and I called our Great-Grandmother "Big-Grandma."

Our fondest memories of Big Mom-Mom include the kids riding on her lap aboard her wheelchair through the halls of her assisted-living home, shopping at Columbia Mall, meals at Eggspectation, and of course the holidays.

This past Christmas however, we weren't able to see her since both kids were fighting Pneumonia. Soon after they recovered, she was ill with a bad cold, which kept us away. Jen and the kids went to see her a few weeks ago, but I was busy so couldn't make it. It would have been the last time I saw her, and hugged her, and kissed her, and told her that I loved her. Because I was "busy," I wasn't able to make it. Busy. If I knew then, what I know now.

The kids sang her and the other residents songs, and they all clapped. As usual, after the visit she called everyone she could think of to brag about her adorable Grandkids. One of the coolest things about the visit, was that Jonah Boy wouldn't stop giving her kisses. I know she must have LOVED that.

Of course, none of us knew that would be the last time we'd see her. She'd been in and out of the hosptial 15 or more times in the last year or two, and always came back swinging. This time was different and it all happened really quickly. She passed just before I arrived at the hospital.

My brother and I saw my Grandma almost every day for the first ten years of our lives. She lived less than a block away from our house, babysat ALL the time, and vacation with us. We loved our time with her, and she loved us like crazy. She called us "ugly, rotten kids." Then when my kids came along, I saw how much she loved them, and they loved her. She had a soft spot for Jonah "the baby," and I think he is most like her. Sassy, and funny, grouchy at times, but always loveable. He'd ask to go see her completely out of the blue so my guess is she was working that Gradma-magic on Jonah and Ellie, like she did on my brother and me.

To end on a positive note, I couldn't be prouder of how Ellie has handled losing her Big Mom-Mom. I think it's a testament to how much Ellie loved her that she's handled things so well. We've told her all the things you tell a little one when someone passes; they're not in pain any more; they have no more worry; they live on in our hearts and minds, forever. I think that's been a real comfort to her. And she's been a real comfort to me, too.

Rest In Peace, Grandma. We miss you already.
July 12, 1927 – February 17, 2008

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing, Dave. What a beautiful remembrance of Big Mom-Mom. That picture of her with Jonah is priceless. She sounds like a wondeful woman - I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Dave, Jen, Ellie and Jonah!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
(((((hugs)))))

Joya and family

torbjorn said...

terribly sorry for your loss, BIG or little she sounded a treat and you have our deepest sympathies

Jen C said...

Thank you guys so much for your kindness. It means the world to us!

Swirvin said...

I am always at a loss for words at times like this. Like you said to Ellie, Big Mom-Mom will live on in your memories and it sounds like you have a lot of good ones.

Pink Dawn said...

So sorry for your loss. But it's never too late to say goodbye, Dave. You can talk to her anytime now.

Simply Lovely Gifts said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a beautiful tribute to Big Mom-Mom (my husband called his great grandmother Big Granny :-)) Sounds like you have millions of wonderful memories to honor her with.

Dorothy said...

Oh, Dave! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like she was a wonderful woman and I'm so glad all of you have such good memories of her!

Dave Cooper said...

Thank you, guys. It means a lot.