Friday, September 12, 2008

Gingerbread Woman

Going through Ellie's school things:

Hey honey, what's this?

My gingerbread ma
(catches herself) ...my gingerbread woman.

I'm glad for two things, 1. She didn't say gingerbread person because that's just too PC even for me and 2. that she's cool with calling it a gingerbread woman even though the story is called The Gingerbread Man. I have no problem with the story being about a boy/man at all! But that doesn't mean I'm not happy that Ellie is able to hear it and still envision a girl/woman being the titular character. Isn't that what we strive to teach our children? That we're all equal?

You may ask yourself, am I reading too much into the gingerbread woman comment? I think we both know the answer to that question....

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Was the use of the word "TITular" a coincidence? lol

Jen C said...

Absolutely not. Only you would catch that. I must have subconsciously selected that word LOL!

AER said...

LOL Cheryl!