God bless my children, they put up with a lot. Well to be truthful, so do I. But when all is said and done, they are a pretty decent pair. And as draining as it is to have two shadows (make that three now with the addition of the dog) with me all day, every day while I'm trying to grow our business I must say I wouldn't have it any other way.
But Ellie would...
Yesterday as we were running errands, I hear from the backseat of the car:
Ellie: Mommy, when I grow up and have a job, I'm going to have my babies go to school or some other place while I work.
Me: What, don't you like hanging out with me all day?
Ellie: No. It's boring.
Me: Ah. I see.
Now I'm trying not to be too wounded from this heavy-weighted blow from my four-year-old. Instead, I try to think of how many stories we tell in the car, how many songs we sing during a given day (Jonah's favorite is Dan Zane's Pay Me You Owe Me), how we spend every meal together or how just yesterday I made chocolate-chip oatmeal cookies with them and then spent the next 40 minutes cleaning up the mess from them helping while they enjoyed running around screaming like mad people.
No, I will not fall into that guilty trap that all mothers experience regardless of whether they work full-time, part-time, stay at home or work from home. But alas, I wouldn't be honest if I said I wasn't slightly crushed. How can someone so small wield such power? Wait a minute, isn't that what they said about Napoleon?
Sigh. I guess all I can say is, Viva le school starting a week from Monday!
Cherry Tomato Tart with Burnt Scallion Ricotta
2 weeks ago
3 comments:
Send them to Brooklyn to sit in a room with me and Dave editing. Then they'll realize how much fun you are! They realize what they have once they lose it.
Poor you! Try counting how many I Love Yous they give you versus how many I'm Bored..
I've been trying to remind her when we're doing something "fun" but I wind up sounding pathetic...much like when they person you're into isn't nearly as enamored with you LOL!
Post a Comment