Sunday, November 04, 2007

Jonah On Being a Big Boy

I caught Jonah in the act so to speak so I said, "let's go sit on the potty so you can finish going poo poo." He cheerfully replied, "Okaaaaayyyy."

However once we arrived at the deposit station, he tensed up and refused to bend so that I could sit him on the seat. He didn't care if his feet were going in the toilet water, just as long as his backside didn't sit on the seat. For him that would mean defeat.

So of course I broke out the heavy artillery—bribery. "But look, I have big boy underpants. Don't you want Thomas and Lightning McQueen underwear? They have the piiiistoooon cup on them. OOooooh, the piston cup." And with that I start to move them back and forth in the air as if I'm hypnotizing him with the lure of cartoon characters who want him to poop in the toilet.

"Nope."

As I let out the heavy sigh of defeat I take him back into his room. Then I resort to my one last trick. "Honey, diapers are for babies. Are you a baby?" Jonah shakes his head no. "Oh, so you're a big boy. Big boys wear underpants." "I no want to wear big boy underpants." There is a pause. Then with a pitiful look and a small little voice he repeats his position, "I no wanna wear big boy underpants." I replied, "But why honey?" He tilts his head down and looks up at me. It is at this point he must have channeled the classic pathetic puppy in a store window. It would soften the hearts of even the most diaper-changing weary (me). Then he responds in a sweetly soft voice, "I don't want to be a big boy. I want to wear a diaper." And that my friends is how the battle is won. Jonah 2 Mommy 0.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The game's not over! You can still tie it up! All you need is two points and then you can take him!

Swirvin said...

Jonah definitely sounds like a very formidable opponent. I would have lost it too with the puppy dog eyes.

Hang in there. Unfortunately I can't offer much advice. Ethan is up by so many points I can't even count them.

Cheryl said...

Can you kick a field goal? ;)

Jen C said...

I think it's over. He is going through a very "I'm two and need to control everything" stage right now. It sucks. lol!